The previous name of "Das orange Schaf" was "Schullandheim Usseln", which means "School Country Home Usseln". It belonged to an association of several secondary schools from a city called Gütersloh. This association was established in 1995.
The members were looking for an appropriate location for their school camps and found a suitable place in the Sauerland, in Usseln which is part of the Waldecker Upland (Highlands).
Usseln was chosen as location as it is suitable for summer- and winter camps and it is a reasonable driving distance away from Gutersloh. In September 1958 they placed the foundation stone and in November 1959 the building was opened.
Since then, the pupils and teachers from the 5 secundary schools from Gütersloh experienced many happy school camps! Organising all those school camps built up quite a reputation, which means that a lot of people from Gutersloh and surroundings know the "Schullandheim".
In January 2009 it was sold and it will continue as a catered group-hostel with the name "Das orange Schaf" (The orange sheep)